Thứ Tư, 2 tháng 2, 2011

Lunar New Year for foreigners

Foreigners and expats have considered Tet (the lunar new year in Vietnam) as not only a special chance to learn about Vietnam’s culture and customs but also an interesting experience to take part in numerous celebrations across the country.
Vietnamese-American Tomo Huynh, an engineer at a Vietnam-based software company, did not like Tet at first.
“My first Tet left a bad impression on me,” he said frankly.
This was soon after he came to Vietnam.
“Ho Chi Minh City became a ghost town and I was yet to know anyone,” he said.
But another time, he went to his friend's hometown, Ban Me Thuot, and enjoyed banh Tet cakes, some homemade fruit liquor, and fireworks. Since then he has changed his mind about Tet.
“I like banh Tet and receiving ‘lucky’ money,” Huynh said with a grin.
He discovered that, unlike in the US where New Year is just a big party, Tet is a family occasion.
“Everyone raises prices, most stores are closed, and if I need anything, I have to wait for a week,” he complained.
Singaporean Ben Chua, who has lived and worked in Vietnam for nearly five years, told Tuoitrenews: “I love Tet and I find it a time when mostly people are happy and relaxed.”
“It’s amazing! There is less traffic in the city and most of my friends are free during Tet.”
A bachelor, he eats out all the time.
“Tet means I often have to eat instant noodles because many stalls are closed,” he said with a laugh.
He wanted the city authorities to organize more celebrations, have more night markets, and keep them open until 3 or 4 am like in Singapore to attract foreign visitors.
Thi bay Miradoli, an Italian freelance writer who has been in Vietnam for nearly three years, told Tuoitrenews about one particular Tet two years ago.
“I have been in Vietnam on and off for more than two years. I spent one Tet in Vietnam. I was in Sapa on the first day of Hmong Tet which starts one day earlier than Kinh Tet [The Hmong are an ethnic minority while the Kinh are the majority].
“I spent it with the family of my good friends Vu and Chan. We feasted on pork and Sapa rice, keeping warm with delicious rice wine. In spite of the zero-degree cold that day it is one of my warmest memories of Vietnam. My friend and travel partner Connie and I made it to Hanoi just in time for the second day of Kinh Tet.
We spent it with the family of my very good friend Dat who also patiently explained many Tet traditions to us. His family was just as welcoming as Vu and Chan’s family had been in Sapa. In both places, we filled not only our stomachs but also our souls with the warmth of the Vietnamese people and the richness of Vietnamese culture and traditions.
I spent last Tet in Myanmar but I was able to enjoy some beautiful pre-Tet celebrations in Ho Chi Minh City such as the flower market on Nguyen Hue and the lights on Dong Khoi and Le Loi Streets shortly before leaving.
During Tet, families honor their elders and ancestors while at the same time rewarding the youngest ones with lì xì or lucky money. It reminds one of where he or she comes from, the road traveled, and the path ahead. It celebrates families and the continuity of life. I think it is important for children to grow up respecting their family’s history and feeling whole.
Yukie Kasa, a Japanese student studying Vietnamese at the Ho Chi Minh City-based University of Social Sciences and Humanities, celebrated Tet (Lunar New Year) in Vietnam five years ago. 

“I had unforgettable moments,” she recalled.
She told Tuoitrenews that she was greatly impressed with the city’s streets decked in flowers, children who put on best clothes as well as she enjoyed the cozy atmosphere in Vietnamese families during Tet.
“I’m warmly welcomed everywhere and everyone gives me best wishes and even lì xì,” she said.
“Tet is when the city empties out and thousands go back to their hometowns while locals often choose to spend time at home.”
The hustle and bustle of city life comes to a halt during these festive days.
Greatly impressed by the friendly locals and joyful Tet holidays, Kasa has decided to return to Vietnam for Tet this year.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét