Thứ Bảy, 18 tháng 6, 2011

Japan keeper impressed with Vietnam’s development

Japanese national team’s goalkeeper Kawashima Eiji said he was impressed with the development of Vietnam in an interview with Tuoi Tre Thursday, one day after his charitable match in Thong Nhat Stadium.

This is your second visit to Vietnam. What is your impression of the country having been here twice?

Vietnam is so big and the people are very warm-hearted. What impressed me most is your economic development. Everything has changed so much since my first visit here to play in the 2007 Asian Cup.

Japan has introduced to the world a lot of famous goalkeepers, including Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi. Does it put you under any pressure?

When people in Japan talk about goalkeeping, almost everyone will mention Kawaguchi. He’s not only renowned in Japan, but also well-known to people all over the world. He’s my hero but it does not put any pressure on me. I want to follow my own style.

What is the difference between playing football in Asia and Europe?

It’s the difference in levels of skills. I’m playing for the Belgian club Lierse. Since Lierse is not a strong team in Europe, I can hold my own among other members on the team. However, the differences in culture and in football tradition between the two countries presented much difficulty to me during my first days there.

Some European sports magazines say you are negotiating with West Brom to play in the UK Premier League. Is it true?

Not really. After a season playing for Lierse, I want to find a new club but haven’t officially started discussing it with any club yet.

The world has spoken highly of the Japanese spirit that helped your people overcome the earthquake and tsunami disaster. What do you think about it?

The disaster has inflicted profound suffering not only on the victims but also on me and the whole of Japan. We have no choice but stay strong and move forward.

The disaster has kept Japan from playing in the 2011 Copa America tournament. Do you feel bad about that?

2011 Copa America is a big tournament and it would surely give the Japanese team a lot of valuable experience. But during this difficult time, we cannot compete in it. I myself cannot do anything to change it.

Kawashima, 28, is the first goalkeeper of the Japanese squad at 2010 World Cup. His excellent performance has greatly contributed to the Japan’s advance to the 1/16 round of this championship.

Earlier this year, Kawashima was chosen as Man of the Match for keeping a clean sheet in the 2011 AFC Asian Cup final match.
He is also one of the founders of the Star Power Charity Fund.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét