Chủ Nhật, 21 tháng 11, 2010

Kaleidoscope of the Heart: Relying on superstition for everything


I noticed it when I was chatting with some students about traveling. "Professor, where would you like to travel next?" I was asked. "I'd like to visit Italy," I replied. I asked the same question of the students. "Me? I'd go to a 'power spot.'" said one. "Ah, I also want to go to a power spot," said another. "After all, I'm going to be job hunting soon."
"Power spots," well-known in Japan, are places that are believed to give vitality and luck to those who visit. There are shrines, temples, and historical sites, but there are also natural places in the mountains and forests that are considered power spots.
It seemed that the students didn't just want a trip; they wanted a trip with benefits attached.
One student at the chat told me they had heard that Mt. Fuji was the number one power spot in Japan. Even though that student didn't normally exercise, this fall they climbed Mt. Fuji. "It was so rough, I thought I would die," the student said.
"So, did you receive some 'power'?" I asked the student.
"All I got was a cramp in my foot after coming down the mountain. But the mountain-climbing itself was fun," the student said. Even without having "received" anything, the student appeared pleased with the trip for its own sake, so it seemed like it had been worthwhile.
Next, the students started talking about lucky items like food ingredients that would energize them, and wallets that would improve one's financial luck.
These students were still young, and therefore seemed like they should be able to overcome any difficulty themselves, but it appeared they would gladly rely on any help they thought they could get their hands on. I do admit, watching their willingness to completely rely on others felt somewhat refreshing to me.
Still, it bothered me that they seemed almost completely non-critical of these claims. When someone says, "If you go to that lake, you will definitely find love," it may be tactless to throw a "Where's your proof?" back at them, but responding, "Seriously!? Let's go!" is being naive.
It's also dangerous to accept without any skepticism claims like "you can lose weight with this medicine," or "owning this magical one-million yen pot will heal your ailments."
In these times, when finding work or a partner has become difficult, I can understand how young people can find themselves feeling the desire to cling to things that promise power or luck. At the same time, relying on the blessings of God or power spots for everything seems a little pitiful.
Or, perhaps, I should instead take it as not being so bad, since rather than saying they had nowhere they wanted to go, those young people at least had the drive and energy to go to Mt. Fuji, or this-or-that shrine. I feel that worrying about this too much will drain me of my own "power." (By Rika Kayama, psychiatrist)

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét